A dissolution of marriage process may eliminate much of the divorce process and expense. Unlike a divorce, fault grounds are not at issue.  Dissolution is often thought of as no-fault divorce. If you are a resident of Kentucky, and you intend to file for dissolution, you should understand some of the basic requirements.

The court requires that at least one of you reside in the state for at least 180 days. That includes being stationed in the military. Here’s the actual legalese:

Court may enter decree of dissolution or separation. (1) The Circuit Court shall enter a decree of dissolution of marriage if: (a) The court finds that one (1) of the parties, at the time the action was commenced, resided in this state, or was stationed in this state while a member of the armed services, and that the residence or military presence has been maintained for 180 days next preceding the filing of the petition.

Since dissolution of marriage is governed by state law, it is required that you meet specific residency requirements in order to file for a dissolution of marriage in the state of Kentucky. In most scenarios, couples file in the county in which they live. You can also read more about the Kentucky residency requirements in the Kentucky state statutes located at: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/. If you are unsure of whether or not you meet the Kentucky residency requirements then you can contact the County Clerk’s office or contact me.